- Andrea Gilli is a Senior Researcher in Military Affairs at the NATO Defense College in Rome — where he served as intern in 2008 — and an Affiliate of the Center for International Security and Cooperation of Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA. He holds a PhD in Social and Political Science from the European University Institute (EUI) in Fiesole (Florence, Italy), an MSc in International Relations from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and a BA in Political Science and Economics from the University of Turin (Italy).
- Andrea’s main areas of research concern international security, defense studies, military technology and innovation, net assessment as well as operations and strategy. His dissertation employs management science to explain why European countries cooperate on some type of weapon systems and not on others. In 2015, Andrea was awarded the European Defence Agency and Egmont Institute’s bi-annual prize for the best dissertation on European defence, security and strategy.
- Andrea’s work has been published or is forthcoming in leading journals in his field such as International Security, Security Studies and the RUSI Journal and Andrea is among the handful of Europe-based security studies scholars whose publications are or has been assigned for classes in the most prestigious universities in the world including Harvard University, Stanford University, ETH-Zurich, Columbia University, University of California Berkeley, Ohio State University, University of Chicago, Georgetown University, University of Texas-Austin, Dartmouth College, Yale University, University of Notre Dame, University of Edinburgh, SciencePo, University of Bologna, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore-Milan, Air University, Air Force Academy, University of Waterloo, University of Edinburgh, Southern Denmark University and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, among others.
- In the past, Andrea worked and conducted research for, or was associated with, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Preparatory Commission for the the Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty Organization (Vienna, Austria), the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI, London, UK), the Center for Transatlantic Relations at SAIS/Johns Hopkins University (Washington, DC), the European Union Institute for Security Studies (Paris, France), the Saltzman Institute for War and Peace Studies at the Columbia University in New York (NY), the Center for Security Studies at Metropolitan University Prague (Prague, Czech Republic), the U.S. Department of Defense’s Office of Net Assessment and the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- Andrea’s twin brother – Mauro – holds a PhD from Northwestern University and is currently a Senior Researcher in Military Technology at the Center for Security Studies of ETH-Zurich: they collaborate on different projects.